Amazing Race 7

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Episode One - My Thoughts

Oh, yea! My show is back! And not the show of last season where we have doo-rag/army-issued glasses wearing engaged to racist models for winners, but back to the good ol' days where people are nice to each other, and to other teams, and to the locals. This is what I like to see.

I leave the recapping of the episodes up to Miss Alli of Television Without Pity (in fact, this week's recaplet is here. The 20 + page extravaganza will probably be posted Sunday), and just like to share the random thoughts that pop through my head as I watch the episode. I may have more to add after I go back and give this one a rewatch, but this will do for now. And also in no particular order of how things actually happened in the show, so please excuse my concrete random brain.

Lynn and Alex, I'm really hoping you don't get a penalty for taking the tuk-tuk as opposed to the rikshaw. But, as we all know, tuk-tuks are my personal favorite mode of transportation on Amazing Race, so I gotta give you props for taking it in the first episode!

There should be a warning against singing random songs in random forms of transportation in the first episode. Last season it was Avi's "New York Jews in Iceland" (coming soon to a Fringe stage near you!), this time Ryan and Chuck's rendition of "She'll Be Coming 'round The Mountain". Didn't bode well for either of them, did it? At least there was no song about the Race it self to the tune of, oh "Supercalifragelisticexpialidocious" or something.

The soon-to-be-infamous Sand Digging task. Oh, these silly people. This isn't like looking for a departure time on a tent, getting a time off of a tree, or claiming a ticket for a charter bus. Why? Because in the past three races when they performed the same type of task in the first leg, the teams had no idea what the other departure times would be before deciding to take the ticket or not. Dude. There were big, wooden planks velcroed to the cute little straw umbrellas at all three telling you what time the plane tickets were for, and also on the clue envelope itself! I very much enjoyed all of the teams fighting over the 7.40 slot.

Well, Meredith and Gretchen have nothing on either Don and MJ or Dave and Margaretta, but Gretchen's line "Whoa! This is what the kids call wedgies!" was fairly priceless.

Debbie and Bianca got $10,000 each for getting to the pitstop first? I remember when the prize was a digital camera and that was huge and enviable. Of course, that was probably when a digital camera cost $10,000. Will we ever hear Phil say "Romantic Europe", "Exotic Mexico", or "Exciting Carribbean" again?

So Rob and Amber are here, and they have come out fierce in this first episode (despite Rob having no idea how to open the trunk of the car at the beginning). It is extremely impressive that they started out on the plane that landed nearly two hours behind the first and managed to work their way up to third place. Of course, the American dude that recognized them on the plane sure helped a lot. But, you know what? I have no problem with Romber using their D-list celebrity status to their advantage. We've seen plenty of women try to use their "feminine charm" to get stuff around the race. Romber's just using what they have and using it well. Too bad they keep talking about Survivor every five minutes. That was the only bogue thing about them this episode for me. But when they said something at the campsite, and how it felt like Survivor being out on the beach and all the other teams gunning for them--with the quick cut to the maniacal laughter from Susan and Patrick and Debbie and Bianca? Priceless. If it turns into a Romber Hunt for a few episodes, I won't be disappointed and it could be pretty entertaining.

I understand that 11,000 feet is a really high altitude to do much anything at, and you're excited about the race and the adrenaline is flowing and everything else. But Meredith and Gretchen opted for a cab when the found out the bus was five blocks away. That's not much. I know because I can count that high in Spanish. This does not bode well for our not-quite-favorite older couple.

Why will I miss Ryan and Chuck? Because, on the way to the airport, Chuck said, "You gotta drive it like ya stole it". Awesome. He and Bolo should be friends. That'd be cool. And they also pulled the rickshaws. And did you see how much faster it went?

Oh, the Boobsey Twins. That's their name now in my book. They couldn't even make it to the airport without a) nearly crashing the car on the 405 and b) having to pull over to switch drivers. What happens when they get faced with an eight or ten hour drive? Will they be, like, switching every ten miles?

I can't decide who Debbie looks more like: Julianne Moore, Poppy Montgomery, or Hallie Lowenthal (I suppose that actress has a real name, but come on. It's Hallie Lowenthal to anyone between the ages of 23 and 33). Anyone want to weigh in on this argument my brain's having with itself? I did like them giving the bracelets to the children on the truck. Totally went back to season two with the sunglasses. Cute!

Brian and Greg had one little blip on my fundar last night. When they got to the beach and saw what times where left and that there was only one 7.40 but 3 7.00s, one turned to the other and said, "Doesn't 7.00 come before 7.40?" I think there was a "dude" inserted somewhere in that sentence as well.

Ron and Kelly are totally bugging me already. If you see my previous post about my first impression, you will see that I was expecting this. I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that their caption at the bottom of the screen says "Former POW / Beauty Queen" instead of, oh, I dunno, Dating Long Distance, or that they ran a bad leg, or that when they went to the airport they made their decision between American and United airlines by Kelly saying, "We gotta go American. We're the All-American Team!" I bet all they packed was apple pie and baseball bats and gloves. If I get on this show, maybe I'll be Team America--but with a ": World Police" after it. Then my theme song can be America, F@#^ Yeah (click here for lyrics). With all the snarky sarcasm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home